Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr, French writer and editor, is credited with the old saw, ‘the more things change the more they stay the same.’
Rob Refroe, president of Good News, reprinted a column by the first president of Good News.
Yes, the more things change the more they stay the same.
The United Methodist Church Judicial Council will meet at the end of April to rule on the Western Jurisdiction’s election of a practicing homosexual bishop and appointment of that bishop to the Big Sky Area.
Here is a link to the request for a declaratory decision on the appointment, the request for an expedited decision, and a statement on placing the ruling on the April docket.
Here are the specific paragraphs referenced in the original request:
- Paragraph 304.3: While persons set apart by the Church for ordained ministry are subject to all the frailties of the human condition and the pressures of society, they are required to maintain the highest standards of holy living in the world. The practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching. Therefore self-avowed practicing homosexuals are not to be certified as candidates, ordained as ministers, or appointed to serve in The United Methodist Church.
- Paragraph 310.2.d(3): The General Conference, in response to expressions through out the Church regarding homosexuality and ordination reaffirms the present language of the Discipline regarding the character and commitment of persons seeking ordination and affirms its high standards.
- Paragraph 341.6: Ceremonies that celebrate homosexual unions shall not be conducted by our ministers and shall not be conducted in our churches.
- Paragraph 2702.1.a: Chargeable Offense – immorality including but not limited to, not being celibate in singleness or not faithful in a heterosexual marriage.
- Paragraph 2702.1.b: Chargeable Offense – practices declared by The United Methodist Church to incompatible with Christian teachings, including but not limited to: being a self-avowed practicing homosexual; or conducting ceremonies which celebrate homosexual unions; or performing same-sex wedding ceremonies.
- Paragraph 2702.1.d: Chargeable Offense – disobedience to the order and discipline of The United Methodist Church.
April will be here before we know it; don’t forget to sign the petition issued by the Methodist Crossroads.
If you would like to write your own letter to the Judicial Council, here is the mailing address and names for each of the members.
Reverend Walter Fenton, from Good News, posted an interesting article about the recent letter from the Yellowstone Annual Conference requesting donations for a Vital Congregation Sustenation fund.
Here is Walter’s article.
Here is the YACUMC letter.